Thursday, November 1, 2012

DIY: Leopard Print Tray

Hi All, Happy Nov 1st! It's Jana here to share a DIY to update your trays for the new Season. With the weather turning a little more crisp & cool I look for simple ways to transition my decor accordingly!

Inspiration for this DIY came from a project I saw on Martha Stewart over the summer. Since my lacquer tray is a mainstay when I entertain, I loved that I finally had a solution to the inevitable sliding of drinks and h'orderves on the glossy surface. 

To add an autumnal twist, I decided painting leopard spots on the cork would add the perfect punch of personality.

Materials:
Sponge
Cork (cut to size of your tray base)
Brown & Black Paint
Gloss Varnish

Cut the sponge in various round and oval shapes, add in a few kidney bean shapes as well.


 Sponge brown spots on tray - vary the sizes so a larger spot is surrounded by slightly smaller spots.


Sponge black spots around the brown spots. I found pairing 1 black spot to 1 brown, 2 black to 1 brown, 4 black to one brown, and fully encircling the brown dot with black dots created the most natural patterns.

Coat the gloss varnish over entire surface. 


Make drinks & treats, add a few flowers and you are set for the perfect Indian Summer afternoon!


-Photos by Erik Melvin

-post by jana bek

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment