Thursday, September 6, 2012

Food: Chocolate Protein Bliss Balls

Hey MBG readers!  It's Caren from Inspired Coast, bringing you these awesome treats that are fantastic as grab-and-go snacks, or as a healthy dessert option at a party! 
 



I first came across these little coconut balls while at a yoga festival in Joshua Tree, California.  It turned out to be an insufferable weekend of 112 degree temperatures but I didn’t mind, because I had my little bliss balls.  They were being sold by one of the umpteen raw vegan vendors that were working the festival.  I think I devoured their entire inventory.

Back in the city, (after a long and glorious shower) I got right down to business, recreating these little balls of deliciousness. 

I make these little treats all the time, but since I’ve been training for a fitness competition, I’ve started adding protein powder to the recipe and reducing the honey content as I need more protein and less sugar in my diet.  But if you’re not on a crazy eating plan like me, stick with sweet stuff.

It’s crazy delish.
 


 Chocolate Protein Bliss Balls

¼ cup raw cacao
¼ cup shredded coconut
¼ cup raw unsalted almonds
2 tablespoons of coconut oil/meat
3 tablespoons raw honey or agave nectar
2 tablespoons maca powder
3 dates
3 sachets of Stevia
½ teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon

  • Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until they combine into a sticky ball.
  • Scoop out individual portions and roll into little balls with your hands. 
  • Refrigerate balls for at least 1 hour before serving.

Depending on the size of your portions, the recipe will make 8 to 15 balls



-post & images by caren

0 comments:

Post a Comment